Hotel closed for norovirus deep clean

July 8th, 2013 Category: Building Management

The Hunday Manor Country House Hotel was closed on Tuesday (July 2nd) for specialist cleaning after several guests fell ill with norovirus.
Also known as the winter vomiting bug, is the UK's most common stomach bug and symptoms generally last for 12 to 48 hours.
The building's complete cleaning should remove all traces of the virus and managing director Joe Wilson explained: "We don't yet now when the norovirus will be totally cleaned and clear, but I am only prepared to reopen once I am sure of safety."
Problems for the venue began last week after more than 20 students and staff of Stainburn School and Science College contracted the virus after attending a proms event. Guests also reported sickness after visiting the hotel restaurant.
At first, there were concerns that the illness could be caused by food poisoning, but authorities ruled this out, instead declaring that the sickness was caused by an outbreak of norovirus.
Public health consultant Dr Nigel Calvert said: "Norovirus is highly infectious and usually spreads by close personal contact. It can also spread through the air or from contaminated surfaces."
He added that there is no evidence among the staff and students of Stainburn School was spread via food, and that his team was working closely with Allerdale council: "A deep cleaning schedule is under way with full co-operation from the hotel," he explained.
Advice issued to the hotel management included a period of public isolation to contain further contamination, and Dr Calvert said that the situation would continue to be monitored.
A number of events had to be moved to other locations during the cleaning process – and Mr Wilson and his staff have worked tirelessly to avoid disruption for their customers.
The prom for St Joseph's school was moved to nearby Greenhill Hotel, while a wedding and a Rotary Club dinner also had to take place at alternative venues. A spokesperson for the Rotary Club said that the Hunday Manor staff had been very helpful throughout the process.
Meanwhile, Mr Wilson expressed his gratitude for the support and understanding of his customers. "We hope that all those affected by this bug are feeling much better now," he added.